Accessorizing a laptop can be one of the coolest gifts you can provide a teenager with.
Now, we all know that choosing a laptop can be a tedious task. Even after finally picking one out and purchasing it, it may very well not have all the elements required for a teenage boy or girl. You most probably won’t find such a complete device. This is where accessories come to aid.
As mentioned above, a laptop may very well not come with all the elements and gadgets that your teen desires or need. Most laptops sacrifice certain qualities to accommodate others.
The advantage of accessories is that they enable us to have more storage capacity, better connectivity and permit us to enjoy our laptop to the maximum. These are but a few of their uses.
Below, are a couple of accessories, which will enhance the use of your teenager’s laptop.
- It is also referred to as pen drive/ USB drive.
- It is a small portable solid-state drive which allows transferring of files to and from personal computers.
- It connects to a device (your laptop) via USB port.
- Basically, it is an external storage for your files.
- It comes with different storage capacity.
Example of a good flash drive is SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Glide CZ60 USB 2.0 Flash Drive.
Its features are:
- Retractable design
It has a slider which protects the USB connector when not in use and it extends the connector and locks it in place when in use. So no extra cap (which can easily get lost) needed.
It provides great storage for your files.
You can set a password using the secure feature to protect some of your files.
- Since we are talking about teenagers, this little gadget may very well survive some unintended machine washing.
- Avoid using the secure feature which requires a password. There are a lot of complaints about this feature.
Check reviews on amazon for more pros and cons.
Tips: Flash drive is a wonderful means to hand in your teen’s assignment or projects.
Another great accessory to your teen’s laptop is a Bluetooth mouse. This will leave space for more free ports on his or her laptop. Let’s take a look of one type of Bluetooth mouse to better explore it.
Specifications for your laptop:
It has Bluetooth connectivity
- It can be used with any Bluetooth devices such computer, laptop, or tablet.
- It connects to Mac, Windows, Chrome OS and Android.
- Its small design and lightweight makes it easy to carry everywhere.
- It has a curved shape which makes it comfortable for right or left-handed user.
- It feels good in the hand with its rubber grips, even after prolonged use.
- The battery life usually last to about 10 months which may vary depending on the frequency of its use.
- Navigation button and tilt wheel provide convenient control over the mouse.
Tips: It is paramount to check if the mouse Bluetooth configuration version is compatible with that of your laptop.
- This mouse operates only on one AA battery thus making it very economic.
- Easily switches off when not being used to conserve battery.
- The scroll wheel is not that smooth.
- The clicks may sound loud.
If your laptop does not have enough USB ports for your use, then a hub adapter is the solution for you.
A hub adapter simply enables you to add connections and ports that your laptop lacks.
Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub is a fine option for one.
These are its features:
- It enables you to add up to 4 devices.
- It is compatible with the USB 1.1 products.
- It has a switch for each port (It can separately be turned on and off). All you need to do is switch off the port not in use.
NB: The devices connected to the 4 Port Hub must not exceed a combined current of 5 volts 500mAh.
- It is a thin device; therefore it does not take up much space.
- It is light and portable.
- The ports are a bit close together, making it a tight fit.
- It only syncs with your device but will not charge it. Meaning that you will need external power supply to charge any plugged in devices such as external hard drives. (You will need a compatible power adapter for this).
Laptop backpack / trolley bag
These recipients provide certain protection for laptop from harmful things like water, moisture, heat, scratches and shocks.
A laptop backpack is preferable for a teenager because:
- It is better for posture in that the weight is better distributed between the teenager’s shoulders.
- There is plenty of room for his or accessories.
However, if the teenager is traveling long distance, it is therefore better to consider a trolley bag. This is because:
- Trolley bag has good storage space.
- Laptop is well protected.
- The teenager doesn’t have to carry a heavy bag.
The coolest part of a backpack/ trolley bag is that it doesn’t only store the laptop, but it also has plenty of room for the accompanying accessories (as well as school stuffs).
Tips: Waterproof and shockproof backpacks are very useful for teenagers.
In the end, making use of accessories will surely improve your young one’s overall use of his or her laptop. No matter how big or small the accessory maybe it will most certainly make a meaningful difference. Like I mentioned before, it is unlikely for a teenager to get every single thing that him or she desires out of a laptop alone.
It is of utmost importance however, to choose a compatible or convenient accessory. That is one that will ease their way of life. Accessories with something that you know a teenager will definitely make good use of. Don’t choose those that will gather up dust for lack of use. All in all, accessories are therefore inevitable.
An accessory can be a great companion, therefore choose wisely.
Thank you for reading my post. I hope that it will be of use to you to accessories your teen’s laptop.
Kindly leave a comment below.