For a great amount of time, teens find themselves in front of their computer or a digital screen. The use of a wireless keyboard and mouse can make their life so much easier. The use of such devices will bring some degree of comfort to their studying and downtime routine.
Acquiring a wireless keyboard is also an easy fix if your teen’s present keyboard is acting up. A wireless keyboard and mouse combo can be a convenient replacement or adjustment in such a crisis.
It can even serve as a backup or be used on multiple devices. Such occasions can be:
- For gaming purposes which involves multiplayer.
- Working simultaneously on different monitors.
- Controlling their PC from different locations.
- Useful with smart TV and even smartphones.
What is it?
According to Wikipedia, a wireless keyboard is a computer keyboard that allows the user to communicate with computers, tablets, or laptops. In other words, it doesn’t need to be attached to the computer or other devices to work. Instead, it works through radio frequency (RF), infrared (IR), or Bluetooth technology.
The same principle applies to a wireless mouse.
Let’s take a look at the 2 most common ones according to their connection type.
Wireless keyboard with wireless receiver
Most wireless keyboards that make use of Radiofrequency (RF) for connectivity are at 2.4 GHz. It consists of a transmitter found inside the keyboard and a receiver that plugs in the keyboard port or USB port on your computer. It is so easy to install since you just have to plug and play. There are no compatibility issues. It has long-range use and is a specialized tool.
The Bluetooth keyboard connects by pairing to a device. Mostly portable and therefore appropriate for smartphones and tablets. The Bluetooth technology is more secure and has no interference to other Bluetooth devices. It works across different devices. It is however for short-range use and not compatible across OS.
How does it work?
The best part of a wireless keyboard is that it does not use WiFi. It is activated by the receiver and transmitter or paired with the device via Bluetooth. Therefore, there is no need to worry about purchasing extra data for your teen to make use of their keyboard or mouse. Once plugged in, the computer recognizes the keyboard and mouse just like it recognizes those which are connected through cables.
Benefits of a wireless keyboard for teens
- It is an excellent addition to their computer or laptop.
- Easy to connect to the computer.
- It is more compatible with other devices.
- It is wire-free.
- Provides more desk space.
- There is no clutter since you can store it away.
- It can be used in any position, therefore, providing more comfort and less strain when doing school works.
- More flexibility and versatility to enjoy games and typing.
- Offers more options like a backlit keyboard for your teen’s laptop.
- Teens can still make use of both keyboards since the internal keyboard is not disabled.
- It can be used as a backup for the present one.
- Teens can focus on ergonomics and style.
Tips: The wireless mouse performs the same duty as a wired mouse or a trackpad.
Drawbacks of a wireless keyboard
- It can be a bit slow or missed keystrokes.
- Need to charge it, unlike the wired one, or swap out the batteries.
- The dongle or wireless receiver is tiny so it is easy to lose it.
- Bluetooth drains the batteries quickly.
- Dead batteries mean a non-functional keyboard. You therefore must have spares.
Tips: Turn it off when not in use to improve battery life.
How to choose one?
First and foremost check compatibility with your teen’s existing devices, especially for the Bluetooth keyboard.
- Purpose of use
Secondly, identify the purpose of owning such a keyboard. What will your teen be using it for? Will it be for typing? This will require well-spaced out keys for comfort. Will it be for games? A mechanical keyboard will be more useful here. Or is it for programming? A keyboard with windows hotkeys and programmable keys will be more appropriate.
Much more mobility will be gained if sacrifices are made on the size of the keyboard and some features. It is therefore important to note if portability is a must for your teen.
Bluetooth is more expensive than a USB receiver-driven wireless keyboard. Extra features and ergonomics also have an impact on the price.
- Battery life span
Some are rechargeable and some use AA batteries. Therefore, the lifespan of batteries should be taken into consideration.
Now we will take a look at a wireless keyboard that is worthwhile for a teen. It is actually a combo that comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Upon unboxing you will find:
1 Logitech full-size wireless keyboard
- This is a full-size keyboard with a nice slim design.
- It has 8 programmable Hotkeys and nine F-keys.
- The keys are quiet to the touch.
1 Logitech M185 Laser mouse
- It is a precise wireless contoured mouse.
1 USB wireless Nano-receiver
- The receiver can be stored inside the mouse.
AA Batteries for both keyboard and mouse
- These can last up to 24 months for the keyboard and 12 months for the Mouse.
- They can be used for long hours.
- The benefit of using a combo is that you make use of only one receiver for both the keyboard and mouse.
- Logitech Unifying receiver can connect to any Logitech device.
- There is no need to install any software for their use.
My final thoughts
A wireless keyboard is considered a useful and supplementary peripheral for your teen’s digital world. Even more so when it comes as a combo with an additional wireless mouse which is a definite plus.
With the aid of such a tool, doing assignments or research will be so much easier and comfortable especially now that more schooling is being done online. Gaming during downtime can also be enhanced via this periphery for your teen.
Therefore, a wireless keyboard does have a suitable place in a teen’s world to ease up their life. So much fun can be gained by having one or two of these.
You can also choose to accessorize your teen’s laptop further.
Thank you for reading my article.
Do you have any experience with wireless keyboards and mice?
Do tell me in the comments below.